Ultra High Definition (UHD) has already arrived in terms of increased resolution over HD video. However, the additional UHD features such as High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Wide Colour Gamut (WCG) are still not fully understood despite their introduction into both programme making and distribution for over a year.
This one-day course explores the standards, workflows, challenges and best practices for high dynamic range and wide colour gamut implementation along with the consequences for backwards compatibility.
High Dynamic Range (HDR)
- Dolby Perceptual Quantiser (PQ) approach to HDR
- BBC/NHK Hybrid Log-Gamma approach to HDR
- SMPTE 2084, 2086 & 2094 HDR standards
- ITU-R BT.2100 HDR production and international programme exchange standard
- HDR deliverables – Dolby Vision, HLG, HDR10, HDR10+, SL-HDR1
- HDR workflows
- HDR tone mapping
- HDR compatibility with standard dynamic range (SDR) equipment
- HDR capture
- HDR displays
Wide Colour Gamut (WCG)
- Why wide colour gamut is an intrinsic part of HDR
- The WCG colour spaces
- The WCG standard – ITU-R BT.2020
- WCG primaries, white point and colour matrix
- WCG workflows
- The WCG Academy Colour Encoding Space (ACES)
- Moving between colourspaces
- WCG capture
- WCG displays
This course is for:
- Engineers or technicians with an electronics, computer science or IT background who need to be more familiar with the specific requirements of UHD HDR and WCG
- Anyone in the media technology industry who needs to understand the impact of HDR and WCG in their UHD workflows, particularly those who are new to the industry such as apprentices and trainees.
- Technical managers, chief engineers, station managers and others who need an update or overview of HDR and WCG.
- Sales and marketing people, product managers, technical support staff, software developers, broadcast operational staff and business analysts.
- IT engineers and technicians who need to improve their understanding of UHD HDR and WCG operations and workflow.
- Managers of support services who need to build their knowledge of the fundamentals of HDR and WCG.
Martin delivered his course at Smoke and Mirrors to engineers, colourists, VFX artists and producers. It explained not just the production and post-production standards for HDR but also the multiple delivery specifications – presented in a way that everyone, with their different skillsets, could understand.
In addition, his course examined HDR capture, workflows and displays which covers the range and complexity of the work we do in this area.
The course is structured and delivered in a professional and accessible style and I would recommend it for anyone wishing to get to grips with this complex subject.
Smoke and Mirrors
Researchers in my lab have very diverse academic backgrounds, some actually specialising on HDR and WCG, some on very much distant subjects, and Martin achieved the quite remarkable feat of keeping us all interested at all times, providing knowledge and insight all the way and for everybody. It was a very engaging and greatly structured course, I highly recommend it.
Prof. Marcelo Bertalmío
IP4EC Lab – ICT Department
Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
It’s the second time Martin has travelled to Barcelona to deliver his courses to us over at Deluxe Spain. The audience ranges from producers, colorists to engineers, researchers etc..
Martin manages to keep everybody absorbed and enthusiastic from the first til the last minute and this is particularly impressive considering that most of us aren’t native English speakers. So much so we decided to make it a yearly event.
Thanks to you Martin, and see you next year!
Head of Imaging
- I have delivered this course twice for the ‘Emerging Technologies Group’ at SKY
- I ran this course for Deluxe in Barcelona and for the Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Spain
- The course was delivered at the Kerry Education and Training Board, Ireland for the Irish broadcasters and post-production facilities.
- Most recently this course was delivered to Smoke and Mirrors post production in London in September 2017
Please contact me directly for in-house, on-site delivery of this course.